Tuesday 17 June 2014

How to get High

I was recently watching a few photography videos looking at different ways of capturing exterior shots of the wedding venue and one technique stuck with me. I was inspired to take exterior shots from a high perspective, this can be useful as taking pictures from a 'normal' perspective can be slightly boring and you may not capture the true atmosphere of the event; by raising the camera up and gaining that high perspective you have a better chance at capturing the entire location and all the decorations with an interesting perspective.


For this shot I used my Canon 7D and my sigma 10-20mm f3.5 lens at 14mm.
1.500 at f11 at ISO 640.


For this shot I used my Canon 7D with my Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 lens at 12mm
1/500 at f13 at ISO 800.




How to get a HIgh Perspective?

Theres a lot of talk about utilising drones and other high tech equipment, and if you can afford that,
go for it! if you are looking for a cheap alternative, I have found using a monopod with a lever head to be just as good for getting a high up perspective (pending on how high up you want to get.)


Photography tip 1: when handholding the camera you will want to shoot with your shutter speed atleast double the number of your focal length, so at 50mm you wanna shoot at 1/125 or higher, but when using this technique you want to shoot at at least 1/500 to stop any camera shake.






Photography tip 2: How to trigger the shutter from down on the ground, you have a couple of options, you can buy an intervalometer and set it to take a burst of 10 pictures or so until you get it right, some newer cameras come with an intervalometer built in which is always handy! However, I have found it useful to set up my Auto Exposure Bracketing use this with a 10 second delay gives you enough time to prop the camera up as high as you want and then the camera will take 3 pictures, 1 correctly exposed, 1 underexposed and 1 overexposed, you can play around, see what works best for you.



Give it a go and let me know how it goes!




No comments:

Post a Comment