Saturday 19 July 2014

How to get blurry backgrounds (part 1)

I was asked a few weeks ago by a friend who I shot a wedding for, how I got those blurry backgrounds in my images, so I thought I'd do a short video and a blog post about it, to give you guys some great tips and tricks on how I get blurry backgrounds in my images.

A blurry background is known to photographers as a shallow depth of field, this means that the subject is in focus and before and after the subject are out of focus.


There are 3 things you need to get your head around for blurry backgrounds

1. you'll get better results using a wide aperture lens such as an f1.8 or 2.8

2.




So firstly you need your camera set up, when shooting portraits I typically use my Canon 7D and my 85mm f1.8 lens. Secondly my typical settings range from f2.0 - f3-5 and my shutter speed never drops below 1/60 (for portraits, unless I'm trying something new.)

The third thing is you need to get a good distance between your subject and the background, the greater the distance the creamier the background, another thing to take into consideration is the longer your lens the more obvious that







No comments:

Post a Comment