Wednesday 18 March 2015

The Gear I took with me to Mombasa

I wanted to keep things as simple as possible and also have the ability use a DSLR camera with me, I hate it when I'm limited by auto settings or focusing lengths. I learned from my trip to Barcelona earlier this year, I was adamant that I wasn't going to bring my DSLR with me or a tripod and well, I regretted that decision for the whole holiday!

So I knew when going to Mombasa, of I needed to take my DSLR - I decided to take my first DSLR, the Canon 400D. That's the camera I learnt how to take pictures with and allows me to take control of what I need, it is a 10mp so it's not as good quality as the 7D but it's my workhorse and didn't want to risk anything happening to it.

So I had my camera, now choosing lenses. I decided to keep it simplistic again, going with my 18-55lenses as I know for Mombasa I want to be able to take landscapes and zoom in for some portraits too! In addition to the 18-55 I also decided on taking the 50 f1.8. The reason I took the 50 is because I wanted to utilise that f1.8 aperture when creating portraits or maybe even using it for some landscape or panoramas!

I also took with me a small tripod, a flash gun and a cheap intervalometer I bought from amazon.
Well I didn't even use my flashgun once, I didn't need to! The light was always perfect for what I needed! So next time I probably won't take that, well I probably will, just in case!
My tripod was definitely a necessity, it's currently wrapped up in a carrier bag, still full of sand! I think next time, I'd take a more sturdier tripod, I'll have to do my research and see which tripods are good for traveling with.
And finally the intervalometer, I accidentally dropped it in sand and it stopped working for some reason. I got most of the sand out but it's still a little temperamental now and then; but when it decides to work it's great but maybe next time I'll see if there are some better ones on the market!


No comments:

Post a Comment